Tuesday 16 March 2010

Making time







Saturday morning, 6.30am and the mobile phone laying on my bedside table, literally inches from my ear, starts omitting an irritating tune. It's that brief moment of confusion when your brain which has been rudely dragged away from a scrummy dream about Ferrari's and Ferrero Rochers has to make a quick decision - Is someone ringing me? Has there been a major family crisis? Or have I forgot to cancel the alarm? But then once I've realised that there's no such thing as a 4ft nut-covered chocolate and I own a Honda as opposed to a Maranello masterpiece, the reality sinks in. I did set the alarm for 6.30am!

"What in the name of all that's Holy were you thinking Tim?" (I apologise for the blasphemy, but I have conceded the fact that I am slowly morphing in to Victor Meldrew. Well, a strange cross between him and Basil Fawlty of course! )

Oh I remember now! I have a busy day ahead, and just 5 hours earlier after finishing a glass of wine and watching some DVD that I've probably watched far too many times already, I decided that the only way to get a walk in this weekend was to get up at the same time that the sparrow suffers its daily flatulence. I'm conscious that's the second time I have made reference to gastric/gaseous movements in my blogs, but hey, we're British! We love toilet humour! 30 carry-on films can't be wrong! I still say that "Carry on F**ting" would have been Pinewood's Studios most lucrative project, had it been made of course! The sight of Kenneth Connor clenching his nostrils and stating that immortal line - "Ooooh Matron, was that you?" and Barbara Windsor wearing nothing but a bikini and a World War 1 gas mask would surely have embedded itself in to Carry-on folklore! Ok, I'm digressing!

The day could have been so much easier, but as usual, I decided to make it difficult. In an annual tradition, I didn't post my Mother's Day card on time, so that meant a minimum 100-mile round trip to hand-deliver it. Well, I guess the latter "outcome" was the more loving/family-friendly option, so don't give me grief for being dis-organised. I could also have saved the walk until the Sunday, but on the basis that it was the first round of this year's Formula 1 championship, and woe-betide I miss that, it really wasn't an option. And then there was my commitment to help out a friend in Manchester who is making his first movie and rather bravely, he'd cast a part for me and planned to film my "VERY amateur debut" late Saturday afternoon and early Sunday morning. And then there was the haircut appointment at 3pm! (Granted that wouldn't take long!). So, the only way to make time for a walk in this hectic weekend schedule was to slot it in somewhere first thing on Saturday.

So, had I posted the card, watched the Bahrain GP highlights later on the iPlayer, and accepted another week of minimal hair-growth, I could have spent a satisfying, lazy morning on the sofa watching "Dave" (That's the TV channel, NOT my good friend from Manchester by the way!) I'd quite happily watch those back to back Top Gear episodes and I could probably even tell you what strange but hilarious anecdote will be used to introduce The Stig in that particular episode before Clarkson get's to do his "thing". Most of you now will be thinking "Sheesh Tim, Get A Life", but I'm betting that there's a small handful of you out there who are reading this and saying to themselves - "I'm glad I'm not the only one!" I digress! (Again!)

I have a new camera too, a digital SLR would you believe? (I think it was "SLR", could have been JCB or GTL though. No, hang on, that was a model of Renault wasn't it?) Anyway, I'm keen to try it out in the great outdoors. I spent about half an hour the night before carefully unpacking it from its layers of secure wrapping and then about 5 minutes reading the instruction booklet. 4 pages in to a 210 "introduction" book and I've lost the will to live. Surely this isn't necessary and all I need to do to produce a David Bailey classic is to simply aim and press one of these buttons? And there's so many buttons - Portrait, Landscape, Sport, Aperture, Wash, Spin, Mix, Dry! There could be tears and tantrums on the fells today!

My weekends used to start with a cheese-drenched sausage sandwich with HP sauce, but that has since been replaced with a fruit and nut muesli. Sure, it looks like the contents of your local Spar's hoover bag, but its good for a slow release of energy through the morning. So, it's a quick pack of the rucksack. The obligatory Prawn Sandwich on Brown (well, I am a Manchester United fan after all), some Baxter's soup (go for the butternut squash variety, it's delicious) and 2 bottles of lucozade sport in the Camelbak - the definitive walking accessory by the way. And it's just minimal clothing required this morning, as today's chosen peak (and the only one I can possible cram in to a 3 hour window, including travelling time) is Helm Crag, Grasmere, or known more affectionately as the "Lion and the Lamb". At just 1329ft, this is a wonderful, easy-going fell. Yet it was held in the highest affection by Wainwright himself, mainly because of the spectacular topography and rock formations at its summit. This is definitely a walk you can take the whole family, one for a late summer's afternoon, or in my case, a deeply-satisfying early morning stretch of the legs. And with that lunar-esque summit, a potentially great place for some piccies on the new washing machine.....erm, I mean Camera!




I remember my first time up Helm Crag on a cold, autumnal afternoon with waves of driving rain and sleet pounding my face. Back then it took me the best part of an hour to reach the famous summit. This morning however, conscious of my busy schedule, it takes me 28 minutes. Now, I'm not bragging here, and I certainly don't ever want to be one of those people who make a big song and dance about the fact they, for example "did Great Gable" in 70 minutes, in blizzard conditions, with a sprained ankle, whilst carrying a 4-man tent, and an 8lb baby on their back etc etc etc. You know the sort of person I'm talking about here. If you've done something, they've done it quicker, bigger, more expensive etc. There's a name for them I'm sure, but as this is a family/eco/fox-friendly, non-bio blog I'll refrain from any further harsh statements.

My point here is that with perseverance and regular exercise, the difference in one's fitness can change dramatically. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making myself out to be some kind of ultra-healthy freak here. I started from a base level of fitness that could only be compared to a diabetic sloth, with a thyroid problem. So, the only way was ever going to be up!

The walk was as wonderful as ever, the clouds staying a couple of thousand feet above the summits giving a me and the dozens of people already up here a crystal clear panorama of central Lakeland. I'll not bore you with details of how the photography project went. Needless to say, I think I need some personal tuition and offers are most welcome. All other weekend objectives were met and I felt content on Sunday night that I had made time. Time for my family, my friends, for me, and more importantly for the 3-peaks challenge.

Speaking of which, the first justgiving website for Open Arms International is up and running. http://www.justgiving.com/24-hr3peakschallenge The second site for our second chosen charity is going to take a little while longer as we have to go through a long, drawn-out paper trail to get Primrose House registered with justgiving and giftaid. So, please donate whatever you can, but do leave a little bit back for Primrose.

Training is going well for all parties concerned. Sarah's training last week however seems to have swamped any efforts put in by the others in the group. She's also training for a 10k run coming up soon in East Yorkshire and has regularly been doing 5k's in the gym with the treadmill on "ascent". This week however she did the full 10k on ascent, but is now battling with some shin splints which have re-emerged to frustrate her. She'll persevere though and I'm sure she'll stroll through both challenges with the minimum of effort.

I must take this opportunity though to thank some people. The facebook group members for their support, of which there are now 125 of them. English Lakes Hotels for donating the competition prize (details of which are on the justgiving page) and for publishing the blogs on their own website, my sister for giving me the belief that I can actually do this challenge, and of course the fellow 3-peakers for all their hard work and effort so far.

Thank you for reading, thank you for supporting and let's all make a difference and raise money for our great charities http://www.openarmsinternational.com/ & http://the-holistic-centre.co.uk/content/view/3/5/












Tim & The 3-peakers

























No comments:

Post a Comment